IM 70.3 Basic Training Calendar

St. Louis Triathlon Club Forums Racing Multisport Events IM 70.3 Basic Training Calendar

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Wes

HELP… I’ve signed up for my very first Half Ironman and am looking for a beginner training plan / calendar.

Any suggestions on where I can find one?

Wes

Sherry

Hi Wes,
      There are lots of general plans online, but your choice really depends on where you are starting from and how long you have. Have you done other races – sprints, other events such as running half marathons, prior swimmer? Those make a big difference on what you focus on. For me I worked from my base of half marathons and tweaked the plan from there. Bricks are a critical part of the training especially for new triathletes. My initial goal was just to finish so I used a plan similar to the one posted at: http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_12364.

If your event is next summer you will want to take advantage of the club’s group training events. There are lots of opportunities to do group cycling and bricks and learn from other experienced triathletes.

Sherry

Scott
      Participant

In the past, I combined some of the free 70.3 free training plans. I think the key to using the effectively is knowing your strengths & weaknesses. Some coaches will also create a plan specific for you. Some additional background would probably be helpful. How strong of a swimmer, biker and runner are you? Which 70.3 did you sign up for?

Courtney

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/09/training/super-simple-ironman-70-3-triathlon-training-plan_12364

This is what I used for my first 70.3. It’s very basic but got me to the finish feeling strong! As Sherry said, be sure to check out our mentoring programs as well!

Good luck,

Courtney

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.