With the first New Town open water swim coming up this Saturday, May 2nd, this is a good time to remind our members of a few key differences from previous years.
- The club discount is only valid for pre-registrations. It will not be valid for on-site, day-of registrations. Pre-registration closes at 11:50pm on the Friday before each swim session. There will be two lines at the registration tent. One for pre-registrants and the other for day-of registrations. Save yourself some time and money by pre-registering for one or multiple sessions online.
- USAT membership is not a requirement for this year. You won’t need your USAT cards or need to purchase 1-day memberships to swim.
- Wetsuit rental is included for the first two weeks, May 2nd and May 9th. There will be an additional cost for wetsuit rental of $10 per session at all the other remaining sessions. Water temps will likely be on the colder side for the first few weeks so definitely take advantage of the opportunity to try a wetsuit on.
- Swims are from 8am to 9:30am this year, not 8am to 10am in previous years!
- No swim on Memorial Day weekend (May 23)
- Post-swim rides will roll-out at approx. 9:45am from the corner of Galt House Dr. and Civic Green Dr. (Look for the giraffe). There will be at least 2 groups heading out, an A group and a B group. The A group will be a faster-paced ride. Routes will vary from week to week as determined by the ride leaders. If available, route maps will be posted beforehand. Those attending the club’s mentoring clinics will also most likely roll out as a separate group at the conclusion of each clinic.
- In addition to the various demonstrations and clinics that will be ongoing during the series (see schedule on Big Shark’s page), there will also be a number of mentoring clinics.
- Transition Techniques May 2nd
- Open Water Swim Instruction May 9th
- Transition Techniques 2, June 20th
There are not many open water swim practice opportunities in our area so take advantage of these sessions. Many thanks to our sponsor, Big Shark, for organizing these swims!